Instructions on how to create a Google GKE environment that is ready to install Gitpod are located in the gitpod-io/gitpod-gke-guide repository on GitHub. The installation process takes around twenty minutes. In the end, the following resources are created:
- A GKE cluster running Kubernetes v1.21 (rapid channel).
- GCP L4 load balancer.
- Cloud SQL - MySQL database.
- Cloud DNS zone.
- In-cluster Docker registry using Cloud Storage as storage backend.
- Installation of calico as CNI and NetworkPolicy implementation
- Installation of cert-manager for self-signed SSL certificates
Note: GKE Dataplane V2 uses Cilium as container network interface (CNI) which is not supported by Gitpod. Please use GKE Dataplane V1.
Upon completion, this script will print the config for the resources created (including passwords) and what is the next relevant step in the installation process. Note that you will be able to skip steps 2 and 3 in the getting started guide because the script can do these steps for you.