- Configure Your Project
- Docker Configuration
- Start Tasks
- VS Code Extensions
- Exposing Ports
- Prebuilt Workspaces
- Environment Variables
- Workspace Location
- Editor Configuration
- Gitpod Self-Hosted
- Install on Google Cloud Platform
- Install on Amazon Web Services
- Install on self-managed Kubernetes
- Configure Ingress
- Configure OAuth
- Configure a Database
- Configure a Docker Registry
- Configure Storage
- Configure Nodes
- Configure Workspaces
- Languages & Frameworks
Gitpod comes with a GitHub integration that allows you to start Gitpod workspaces from any GitHub project.
To start a workspace from a GitHub project, prefix the GitHub URL with
gitpod.io/# as described in Getting Started.
To enable prebuilt workspaces for your GitHub project you need to install the Gitpod GitHub app and configure it for the GitHub user or organization that the project belongs to. Install the app as described in the prebuilds page.
In Gitpod Self-Hosted you can register your own GitHub OAuth application. This allows to use Gitpod with any GitHub instance.
Here’s how to do that:
- When first starting your Gitpod installation, you’ll get redirected to /first-steps where you get prompted to add a Git Provider. Click the button.
- In the pop-up you choose GitHub as the type and type the host URL of the GitHub installation you want to use. If you want to hook up with the github.com you can use that host as well, of course.
- The form for your GitHub integration now shows three values. The first one is the redirect URL, that you need to register on the GitHub side. Copy the redirect Url to your clipboard.
- Go to
/settings/developerson your GitHub installation to create an OAuth App. Type in a name (e.g. Gitpod) and paste the Redirect URL in the corresponding text area.
- Copy the
Application IDand the
Secretin the corresponding form fields (
Client Secret) of your Gitpod installation.
Connectand go through the Auth flow the first time.
Congrats you have setup the GitHub OAuth applicaton. 🎉
Next up you should install the browser extension and configure it with your Gitpod installation URL.
Still Have Questions?
Please reach out. We’re happy to answer them.