January 14, 2022
Dotfiles support in Beta
Happy new year from us at Gitpod 🥂!
We kick off 2022 with the availability of dotfiles support for anyone - currently in Beta.
If you are already familiar with dotfiles, configure it in your Gitpod preferences. All we need is a URL to your dotfiles repository. We will do the rest whenever you start a new Gitpod workspace. Enjoy 😊.
What are dotfiles, anyway?
You may have seen a
.bashrc file or similar in a Unix environment. Basically, a place for you to configure and customize your shell. The operating system runs commands in these dotfiles automatically. This ensures your environment always has your customizations applied when you start your computer.
Dotfiles allow you to really customize your workflow and hence can increae your productivity significantly. It’s well worth looking into.
With today’s announcement, you can now leverage these exact same files in all your Gitpod workspaces! This removes one more friction for anyone who’s been on the fence as to whether or not cloud-based developer environments are worth exploring. Invest an hour today, you may like what you find. Start at gitpod.io/preferences.
Please try it out and share your experience with us and the Gitpod community. You can learn more about Dotfiles in the documentation.
- #7387 - Provide SLSA/in-toto provenance for the build
- #7606 - Removed “workspaces” from projects and teams and have a single global workspaces list, that shows all my workspaces.Made the single “workspaces” list the default landing place in the dashboard.
- #7504 - The GraphQL API has been removed
- #7241 - Route users to Discord for support
- #7503 - [installation-telemetry]: initial commit plus installer setup
- #7535 - [GitHub] Optionally prevent merging pull requests when prebuilds fail.
- #7578 - Add bottom padding for Projects, Branches, and Prebuilds pages
- #7596 - [installer] Adjust rabbitmq helm chart probes configuration
- #7156 - [Installer]: simplify container image mirroring
- #7508 - [installer]: use a pointer deref if the ssh gateway secret does not exist
- #7391 - Use repository org and name for workspace ids.
- #7512 - [ws-manager] Adjust probe InitialDelaySeconds
- #7510 - [installer] Adjust default MySQL value
- #7463 - Adds analytic tracking to git commands requiring the git credential manager (remote-facing commands)
- #7511 - [installer] Adjust mysql helm chart probes configuration