January 31, 2023
Welcome to the January 2023 edition of the Gitpod Changelog!
- Introducing Gitpod Dedicated
- Prebuild Workspace Class
- Workspace Images OS and Node versions update
- Start new workspace with more options
- Improvements to reliability
- RSS Feed for Gitpod Blog
Gitpod Dedicated is our new enterprise cloud product - a secure installation of Gitpod managed by us for you. Gitpod exists to remove friction from the developer experience, and the best way to do that is with a managed product in the cloud. We no longer actively support self hosting Gitpod.
To read more, see Introducing Gitpod Dedicated: our enterprise cloud offering
Prebuilds do a lot of work downloading dependencies, building projects, and getting everything ready so you are Always ready to code. Prebuilds often need more resources and power than the average workspace. Now you can configure different workspace classes for your project prebuilds. Check out your project settings for more details.
On February 28th, Gitpod workspace images will be upgraded to use Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish). Additionally,
gitpod/workspace-node-lts workspace images will be upgraded to use Node 19.0.0 and Node 18.13.0, respectively.
If you’d like to continue using the current OS and Node versions, you may pin the workspace image version by changing the tag from
gitpod/workspace-node-lts:2023-01-16-03-31-28) in your
Now you can start a new workspace with more options. You can choose the IDE, the workspace class, and any context url. 🎉
Reliability improvements tend to go unnoticed. No news is good news. But we want to change that.
After countless improvements during the last months, our systems’ reliability show significant improvements according to both our internal metrics and direct customer feedback. 😎
We now have an RSS feed for the Gitpod blog. You can subscribe to it here: https://www.gitpod.io/blog/rss.xml. So you can now follow the latest news from the Gitpod blog in your favorite RSS reader. 📄😎
Fixes and improvements
- #16050 - Teams are now called organizations
- #15586 - Fix image build logs not showing in the dashboard if the build is delayed.
- #15567 - Support start-with-options URL, for prompting users about the preferred IDE and workspace class when opening a fresh workspace.
- #15288 - Allow setting workspace class for prebuilds
- #15139 - Add versions of all the supported IDEs to the Preferences page
- #15971 - Added support to JetBrains Gateway v2023.1
- #15527 - Fixed an issue which caused Gitpod Terminals to be terminated when closing JetBrains Client.
- #15270 - Update JetBrains IDE images to most recent stable version.
- #15240 - Update Stable JetBrains IDE images to 2022.3
- #15815 - A new CLI command
gp timeout setallows to set the workspace timeout to arbitrary durations.
- #15638 - New command:
- #15553 - Fixed an issue where oom scores for workspace processes were not applied correctly
- #15475 - No failures even if a large number of workspaces are launched at once
- #15216 - Fix issue that prevented a few stopped workspaces from being restarted
- #15262 - Fix bug where workspaces sporadically landed on an unhealthy node
- #14071 - Don’t trigger heartbeat on all ssh connections. Only for pty sessions.
- #14498 - The processes in the workspace are given up to 3 minutes after receiving SIGTERM.
- #15053, #15262 - Fix bug where workspaces sporadically landed on an unhealthy node
- #1006 - Python 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10 using their latest releases
- #1005 - Add ruby-3.2 image update ruby-3 image from 3.1.2 to 3.2.0
- #1003 - Create image for python 3.11
- #3145 - Document Incremental Prebuilds and Incremental Workspaces
- #16070 - Removed org slugs
- #15854 - Improvements and bug fixes to the Projects list page on the dashboard. Sorting of projects on that view is now alphanumeric instead of by activity.
- #15728 - New
- #15754 - Allow renaming teams
- #15724 - Add new
gp docscommand to the gitpod cli
- #15648 - Menu Options for Usage, Feedback & Help in Gitpod’s JetBrains Gateway Plugin
- #15503 - Customised example repositories on the basis of selected IDE options
- #15371 - Update beta notice for the JetBrains integration
- #15367 - Replace prebuild message emoji
- #15364 - Replace prebuild duration message emoji
- #15350 - Show team usage tab only to team owners
- #15316 - Projects can now be deleted from the corresponding Settings page for that project.
- #15253 - Expired Personal Access Tokens exclamation indicator now has a tooltip w/ the full expiration date so you can see exactly when it expired.
- #15247 - Remove beta and early access labels for Teams, Projects, and Billing
- #15255 - Quote Gitpod prices as excluding VAT.
- #15084 - Fixes an issue with modals not displaying properly on smaller screens.
- #15092 - Disable upgrades of fixed-price monthly plans for individuals and teams who have pay-as-you-go enabled
- #15147 - Always allow running new prebuilds, regardless of any previous prebuild state
- #15107 - Update spacing in token regeneration modal
- #15025 - Replace “usage-based” with “pay-as-you-go” in user and team billing pages.
- #15026 - Disable running prebuilds without a project + disable the deprecated ‘#prebuild/’ URL prefix
- #3314 - Gitpod Teams are Gitpod Organization now
- #3306 - RSS Feed for Gitpod Blogs
- #3302 - Add November community highlights to our website
- #3287 - Add December community highlights to our website
- #3081 - Add documentation for personal access tokens