May 9, 2022
VS Code Desktop Settings Sync
Gitpod is built to be flexible. It’s important that our users can develop with the tools that make sense for their current task and use the tools they are most comfortable with. We “integrate, don’t dictate”. This design principle extends also to our IDE and editor integrations where we have multiple options in the browser and on desktop both VS Code and JetBrains (also see: our partnership with JetBrains).
We encourage Gitpod users to use one workspace per task, move their development configurations to code, and embrace ephemerality to really get the most out of Gitpod. However, those users who choose to swap between VS Code Desktop and VS Code in the browser for editing code will have noticed that their VS Code settings (themes, plugins, and fonts, etc) weren’t kept in sync.
But since we know just how important it is for our users to have their setups and configurations just as they like them, we’re excited to let you know that VS Code settings sync now works between VS Code Desktop and the browser in Gitpod
Note: VS Code browser settings are already synced by default.
To enable VS Code settings sync on your desktop:
- Open your Gitpod workspace in VS Code Desktop
- Use the command palette to select “Settings Sync: Enable signing in with Gitpod”
- Restart your VS Code Desktop
- Resolve any settings conflicts between your browser and desktop
And you’re set! All your theme, plugins, and other settings will be synced in real-time and be reflected also when you’re working in VS Code in the browser.
Check out the VS Code settings sync documentation for more details.
Fixes and improvements
- #8248 - Add user environment variable name length and value length validation in settings UI modal.
- #9831 - Add
staticMessagebusPasswordconfig flag to use a fixed message bus password in the installer
- #9823 - Change icon spacing in license page
- #9803 - [ws-manager] fix sometimes workspaces fail with backup not found error
- #9654 - fix account deletion failing on bad DB state
- #9795 - Make sure the server mounts the github app secret when an app is specified in the installer
- #9793 - Add
disableDbMigrationconfig flag to the installer to disable db migrations
- #9788 - Allow setting
openvsx-proxyservice annotations via the installer.
- #9773 - Allow setting
proxyservice annotations via the installer.
- #9756 - Make
runDbDeleterfor the server configurable via the installer
- #9764 - Allow
proxyservice to configure a static IP via the installer
- #9786 - Use a special domain name for SSH Gateway
- #9727 - Fix readiness probe issue in registry-facace when configured registry address contains a port
- #9738 - Use link component class for the editor selection modal
- #9760 - Allow
ws-manager-bridgeservice to skip registering itself as a workspace, via the installer.
- #9343 - [dashboard] add license tab to the admin dashboard
- #9589 - Refactor backups
- #9699 - [docker-up] Update docker compose to 2.5.0
- #9708 - [image-builder-bob] Update buildkit to v0.10.2
- #9635 - [registry-facade] Adjust IPFS client Add options
- #9732 - [content-service] Fix backup restoration
- #9768 - [ws-manager] Reduce readiness probe initialDelaySeconds
- #9778 - [image-builder] Improve error handling (no more “hostname required”)
- #9213 - [supervisor]: Remove slirp4netns
- #9706 - [supervisor]: Improve IDE readiness probe
- #9432 - Prompt first-time users to choose their default IDE
- #9731 - [kots]: automatically enable shiftfs support if cluster supports it
- #9741 - [kots]: improve installer job failure recovery
- #9701 - [kots] support s3 backend in incluster registry
- #9614 - Improved security by removing unneeded privileges from the server component.
- #9613 - Support custom CA certs for SCM systems
- #9622 - [dashboard] Disable search indexing of all web app pages
- #9545 - Allow resource requests and limits for each component to be configurable through the installer
- #9630 - Allow
defaultBaseImageRegistryWhitelistserver config to be configurable via the installer
- #9717 - Allow chargebee payment config to be specified via the installer for SaaS installations.
- #9718 - [KOTS]: configure blockNewUsers